Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Football Fan Novitiate

l342ea5910000_1_1868.jpg image by itpnavis

Ok, so I have a confession to make to all of you. (Those of you who know me well will be absolutely shocked by what I have to say, so brace yourselves). I starting to be a football fan. Perhaps it’s finally being at a school with a football program. Maybe it’s being at the University of Utah and finally brining out my inner Cougar Fan. And maybe it’s just that I’m turning increasingly sour on politics, my traditional source of news infotainment.

I am still completely mystified by the seemingly arcane rules about how points get onto the scoreboard and what constitutes a foul and how different penalties are awarded. However after reading lots of material online, I think I’m starting to get it.

I am only sure of one thing: I hate the BCS system!!!! Maybe it’s because it’s the only thing that I’m sure fans of both BYU and the U of U can agree on. But I am still very confused and I was wondering if all of you out there could help me. How on earth does the BCS system work???

What is an Automatically Qualifying Conference? How are Conferences made? There is something about computers, schedules, polls, etc. in the rankings, but how does it work? Can somebody send me the equations used? Has anybody from a non-BCS conference won the championship since the system was put in place? And who is going to be the dragon slaying team that finally brings down the evil BCS empire?

I’m looking forward to all of your comments!

5 comments:

  1. The BCS (Bowl Championship Syllogism) is a carryover from the days of Hank Heisman and Jim Thorpe. The most important equation used is a complex formula with national seeding being equal to wins x the square root of losses to non-ranked teams + the "X factor" (i.e., cheerleaders) all divided by the standard deviation of the coaches scores in a lively game of skiball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je ne c'est pas, but go Taylor! Go BYU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! Je ne sais pas! Sorry for the faux pas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I'll ever like football, even though I've tried hard!! ;)
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brooke! Thank you for your congratulations :-) I was meaning to tell ya, I went to SLC a few weeks ago, to temple square and I ran into Alexis! (And apparently I was quite lucky to have found her, the other sisters I saw said that she's usually in the office.) Anyway, she told me you were living in SLC! How're you liking it?

    ReplyDelete