Thursday, December 3, 2009

Care to share your thoughts?

I’m way to busy to blog, but I have been pondering a thought from my Roman Republic class for a while now, but instead of going on and on about it, I was wondering if you would share your thoughts with me.

So, here is the question: What is the difference (if any) between Freedom and Liberty?

Of course this presupposes that there are more than a couple people who read this blog and are willing to post a comment on such an obscure question… but it’s worth a try!

3 comments:

  1. The phrase "let FREEDOM ring" in the song "My Country Tis Of Thee" is no doubt in reference to the ringing of the LIBERTY bell.. If the LIBERTY bell rings out FREEDOM, I think that is a pretty clear indication they are one and the same. I-Love-America Hymns don't lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up definitions for both terms, and the differences were subtle. To me, freedom is basically the ability to act how you want, when you want, and why you want to do something. The best example I can think of is the freedom of speech, which is often referred to as a God-given right, and not very often thought of as an earned privilege. Liberty, on the other had, had a definitions that were much more active, and had a greater sense of being loosed from oppression. Liberty has a much more invigorating sense about it, and is far more personal. We all have freedom to do what we want, but do we all have liberty from other people? It is a much more personal choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mosiah 23:13 And now as ye have been delivered by the power of God out of these bonds; yea even out of the hands of king Noah and his people, and also from the bonds of iniquity, even so I desire that ye should stand fast in this liberty wherewith ye have been made free, and that ye trust no man to be a king over you.
    Does this help? Possibly, we need liberty in order to exercise freedom? This is tomorrow's lesson for seminary.

    ReplyDelete