Friday, November 5, 2010

Richmond Trip

Last week I had the opportunity to travel to Richmond, Virginia to present a paper for the Classical Association of the Midwest and South. The paper was about the Junior Officers of the Roman Navy during the First Punic war, and while it went alright, it could have been much better. However, I’m not going to bore all of you with the details of the conference!

First a little bit about the adventure that I had on my way to the conference. I rode the bus to the airport, which meant that I had to leave quite a bit before I was schedule to take off. After walking around downtown with my duffle bag and full backpack, I started to feel a bit like a bum. Finally I made it to the airport, and the electronic check in informed me that I would not be able to fly out because my flight to Chicago had been delayed and I would miss the connection. I spoke with the helpful, though obviously stressed, lady at the counter and she checked me in manually and said I should be fine because the flight out of Chicago should be delayed too.

Well, I made it to O’Hare Airport. But we were way late and stuck on the tarmac until we could get to the gate. Luckily, in institute we had discussed President Uchtdorf’s talk on patience, and I had decided to, well, be more patient! Luckily I didn’t run off like most of the people who got off the plane, and because I was not running full tilt, I noticed that they had extended the shuttle to go across to the terminal where I was supposed to meet my other plane! (see the map below)

AM_ORD_0208_640x640

I made it just as they were starting to board the plane for Richmond!

After landing I took a taxi into town and checked into my first hotel (the hotel where the conference was being hosted was full the first night, so I could only book the second night there). It looked pretty beat up on the outside, and in the hallways, but it was awesome inside! In fact, it cost 35% less than the second hotel, but it was at least twice as good!

Here are some pictures that I took to show Brooke what she was missing out on.

IMG_0004IMG_0001IMG_0002

it was quite a site for sore eyes after a long flight. (And yes, that is a bidet on the left!)

I have only been to the outskirts of Richmond once before as a Boy Scout on my way to the National Jamboree in 2001, but I had never made to the city before. It’s really a neat place!

The highlight of visiting Richmond was the Virginia State Capitol.

This magnificent building was built in the Greek Revival Style on designs made by Thomas Jefferson (and when they added the visitors center addition, they played up the Acropolis Theme quite a bit!)

IMG_0019

It was quite an experience to be in a space that people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, and Robert E. Lee stood in.

In the rotunda they have the statues of all of the Presidents of the United States who were in Virginia. There were eight in total! (for those of you who are curious who they are, look at the pictures below, and I’ll list them at the end of this post).

Of course, they couldn’t leave out the Confederate Heritage (especially on the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War!) But the statues of Lee, Jeb Stuart, Longstreet and “Stonewall Jackson” are in the old House of Representatives Chamber.

(I guess if you loose a rebellion, you get a bronze statue instead of a marble one. Unless you are a cavalry general with a massive beard, then you can have whatever you want)

Oh! And just in case you forgot why I went, here is a picture of me presenting my paper.

After I presented I went for a walk down by the James River. There is an excellent exhibit on the evacuation of Richmond in April of 1865 when it was finally captured weeks before the end of the war. The pylons of the bridges that were destroyed at that time are still found in the river.

IMG_0086

On my walk I got a few really cool pictures of the sunset, including the obligatory backlit cannon picture. I also saw the Virginia War Memorial, which was pretty neat. Eventually it started to get dark, and I had a early flight so I turned in.

IMG_0085

IMG_0098

IMG_0101

A few hours later I had my last adventure of the trip. I woke up later than planed, and dozed off in the cab on the way to the airport. I woke up to hear the driver swearing in what I assume is some Balkan language driving along some obscure country road. Somehow he’d got lost, but we made it back to the freeway, and eventually to the airport (despite the fact that we were almost out of fuel!) and I hurried through security just in time to make the flight to Washington D.C., and then on to Chicago and finally to Salt Lake City!

Altogether, it was a great trip, although I wonder if I would do it all over again without Brooke going with me. But, then again, if she went with me she would have fallen in love with such a charming city and now we’d be figuring out how to move there! Maybe it worked out for the best…

(The Eight Presidents are: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sounds like quite the adventure! Looks like you had great weather and those pictures of the sunset are amazing!

    ReplyDelete